ACACS and SCC
The Academic and Careers Advisory and Counselling Service Centre (ACACS) located at the first floor of the University House Building on the Fourah Bay College Campus, Mount Aureol also houses the Student Complaints Commission, an independent outfit to effectively manage student complaints. ACACS and SCC serve as a link between the student body and the university administration. ACACS incorporates CAPS, a United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) & National Youth Commission (NAYCOM) funded project and it is committed to educating, advising and linking students to opportunities with potential employers and other higher education institutions both within and outside of Sierra Leone.
The counselling service is free for all staff and students of the University of Sierra Leone. The centre also has its yearly programme of events, some of which are recruitment fairs and workshops. The centre over the years has established very strong links and partnership with both private and public sectors, which will enhance the student’s experience at the university. Some of these service enhancement are:
- HIV/AIDS Helpdesk
- Drug Use/Abuse Helpdesk
- RIFTS Support Group (Reach In For The Stars: against sexual harassment)
- School Outreach Programmes
- STEM Helpdesk (Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics Women)
We are here to support you in your study and work by offering confidential and professional help with your academics, personal, job related, emotional or psychological problems that you may have during your time at the University of Sierra Leone. We work closely with students and encourage them to explore their interests, and career possibilities.
ACADEMIC & CAREER ADVISORY & COUNSELLING SERVICES CENTRE – (ACACS)
provides the following services:
- One – one academic support and advice to students
- guidance for choice of modules and course requirements
- Career choice and option guide
- Group counselling
- Training in employability skills: Identify and improve on skills for employability (How to write a CV, how to write an application letter, how to do a cover letter) etc.
- Human Resource Seminar & Workshops: Organise seminars and workshops with human resource managers from different organisations, institutions and
companies from a diverse range of industries.
- Annual University of Sierra Leone Career Expo: Host an annual job & entrepreneurship fair and link potential employers to employees.
- Entrepreneurship Seminars.
- Support for student welfare, confidential advice and counselling.
- Health awareness days and alerts on each campus: Organise health awareness sensitisations on each campus in collaboration with the university health clinics and their medical staff on health related issues like Ebola, HIV/AIDS, Malaria, Cholera, Diabetes etc, conduct screening tests & follow up treatments.
- Advertise Job Opportunities
- Advertise Internship Opportunities
- Advertise Scholarship Opportunities
- Resource Centre Services: Internet Access, Reference Reading Materials
- Computer Skills Development
- Conducive Learning & Research Environment
- Internet Research Skills
STUDENT COMPLAINTS COMMISSION (SCC)
Provides the following services:
Complaints Office: Serve as a link between the University Administration and Management and the student body.
• Complaint investigation and resolution in a confidential environment: investigate and resolve each complaint, concern or query in a confidential and timely manner.
• Toll free line for students to make complaints by SMS text messages: 5505 Airtel & Africel